New Study Proves Cannabis Helps Prevent Death in Brain Trauma Patients

brain-study

A new study published by the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute shows that cannabis plays a significant role in preventing death for people who have endured traumatic brain injuries. The report, titled “Effect of Marijuana Use on Outcomes in Traumatic Brain Injury” positively links marijuana to the reduction in mortality rates among sufferers of severe brain damage.

Researchers studied the records of trauma patients for three years before coming to their conclusion. Out of the 446 patient records that were reviewed, about 18 percent of them tested positive for having cannabis in their systems. According to reports, 97.6 percent of patients that showed previous marijuana usage survived surgery. Patients that tested negative for cannabis in their systems had a survival rate of 88.5. Researchers believe that cannabis is to thank for the difference.

“Previous studies in animals showed that giving tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active compound in marijuana, would improve survival after a traumatic brain injury,” said David Plurad, an LA BioMed researcher and co-author of the report. “We’ve known that in humans this may also be the case.”

This study provides further evidence of the neuroprotective properties of cannabinoids. Because cannabis is illegal on a federal level, researchers were not able to provide patients with pot but only test for previous, personal use. If physicians and researchers had more access to the plant, more controlled and deliberate experiments could be conducted that would further prove the medical benefits of marijuana. Although many companies have been developing products that mimic the effects of cannabinoids in the human system, there is no substitute for a naturally-occurring substance.

“This study was one of the first in a clinical setting to specifically associate THC use as an independent predictor of survival after traumatic brain injury,” Plurad said. “It’s illegal to give THC in its natural form for research purposes so this is really the best you can do in a natural environment. There’s a big difference between synthetic forms of THC and the natural form.”

Has cannabis helped to save your life or relieve your symptoms? Share your experience in the comments.

Cannabis Now Magazine is a group of individuals passionate about the topic of cannabis and the debate surrounding it.

30 Comments

1. Ellie Payton

November 17, 2014 at 2:46 pm

My son, 20 years old, suffered a TBI on Feb. 21st of 2014 when his skull was fractured by an ambulance while walking in a snowstorm. Diffuse axonal injury, clots, subarachnoid bleeding: life saving surgery that night and a few days later temporal lobectomy and partial frontal lobectomy. Doctors were surprised he survived both surgeries. The fact that he can still see, hear, smell, taste, and comprehend stuff now is likely due to the fact that his system was pretty well saturated with cannabis at the time of the accident. At 9 months post injury, he is coming along, slowly. But he’s here and we’re glad.

2. EJ

October 22, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I was diagnosed with a TBI in high school after a horseback riding accident, along with PTSD. I also suffer from fybromyalgia, and migraines. I have been smoking for medical reasons for quite a few years now, and after failing on so many other medications I can honestly say it’s the only thing that gives me any relief.

3. Brian

October 16, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I’m a regular smoker to treat anxiety& back pain…but I strongly believe marijuana helped save my life.I had brain surgery last year..I fell off a ladder & knocked myself out …I didn’t know the extent of my injuries at the time but I had bleeding on my brain that eventually after a night formed into a clot the size of a soft ball..I jus thought I had a concussion..I smoked triple the amount I normally would jus to ease the pain& it was the only thing that did. but knowing something was wrong I went to the emergency room. Only to find out I was lucky to be alive&if I did not get surgery within a few hours I’d be dead.. they couldn’t explain how I survived as longed I did before being treated..now it’s a year after &I have recovered beyond belief with marijuanas help

4. Tj

October 16, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I had a massive stroke at 38 and there were so many different complications physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, cannabis was the only all encompassing medication that had a positive outcome. It helped reduce my pill parade that I was confronted with. Its a miracle med.

5. Curtis

October 16, 2014 at 10:23 am

Yes had a subdural hematoma after I got out of the hospital I started smoking pot again an quit taking the pain pills an I feel great except short term memory loss or something I love weed it makes me ok with the world

6. brian george

October 16, 2014 at 2:41 am

cannabis is the only substance that comes close to mitigating the symptoms of my ptsd. I’ve been prescribed 15 different offerings from “big pharma”, not one of them were safe alternatives. people don’t drown their kids in the bathtub, or shoot up a theater on weed. Many of the drugs being pushed on us have some pretty scary side effects. includeing the propensity for violence.

7. Fran Philp

October 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I am 70 and have pain from arthritis. I also suffer from depression and some stomach discomfort. Smoking MJ relieves all the symptoms. It also opens up my mind and I think more clearly and get very creative. I make fused glass jewelry and my most beautiful pieces have been created while stoned. I smoked pot in my 30s and 40s mostly for recreational use but stopped because the laws were very scary. They still are but they make no sense and my health comes first now. Lets legalize it. I am voting YES on 2 in Florida. Thanks for giving us a place to voice our views.

• Norma

October 17, 2014 at 7:12 pm

• Norma

October 17, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I am proud of you Fran, cannabis is all kinds of medicine to heal your every condition all in ONE. We don’t need to take man made drugs, when God has given us a plant to heal our mind and bodies. In its non toxic and natural form. Who wouldn’t want to go that route. I wish you best in your health care, screw the government. They are hypocrites they know its medical use and DAMN them to keep it from God’s children. We as users know its potential, food, fiber, fuel and medicine all in one plant. What a wonder drug!!! The last to know of course is our medical community. They believe all those lies and this is only my opinion. They cannot cure our illnesses but between the big PHARMA dog, between the two they make plenty of money from us. Cannabis as it becomes fully legal, they are going to have a few less patients, and customers for the PHARMA dog.

8. Joseph

October 15, 2014 at 10:18 am

I roof houses for a living and i fell off a 20 ft. roof and broke both arms and I have a metal plate and 8 screws in my left arm and I had bruising on my frontal lobe the doctor said i would be stuck in a wheel chair the rest of my life so I started to smoke cannabis everyday and its been almost a year now and I haven’t ever had to use a wheel chair and the doctor says now that it doesn’t look like I have ever had a brain injury before

• Lori balantic

October 16, 2014 at 9:47 am

I got into 2 real bad car accidents and broke most of my discs in my back, so I had back surgery to fix my back!!! I am in pain all the time. I was taking pain medications for the pain. I didn’t want to get addicted to pain meds. I have been smoking pot since I was 14 years old. I stopped for many years, so I decided to start smoking again, the results were amazing!!! It helped me manage my pain. I was taking alieve for pain and smokin pot and it was amazing the difference. I had a lot less pain and stopped takin pain meds, the pot with Alieve took a lot of my pain away!!! I’m not pain free but I’m not addicted to pain meds no more!!!! From lore

9. Elizabeth

October 15, 2014 at 9:01 am

I had smoked MJ for many years on & off for fun. I started again 14 yrs. ago I had a TBI from car accident and now use it for anxiety, depression, aches, etc. Wish they would legalize it all the way around.

10. Sister

October 15, 2014 at 7:51 am

HI, I do have a story to share. It’s a story of Traumatic Brain Injury. I have a brother who was hit by a car on his fourth birthday. My brother is now 29, and back then not many survived such an intense trauma, but he did. My entire family has been affected intensely, and everyone has their own story as to how they coped on a personal level. A collection could be written endlessly regarding the journey we have endured.

However, I will stay on topic regarding his experience with marijuana. Throughout the years he’s been medicated for seizure, anger, and other common side effects of TBI. Finding the correct prescribed cocktail of meds takes time and patience with unending trial and error. Daily meds for my brothers needs are quite costly, and forever needing adjustments.

Specifically with my brothers injury he has aggressive violent outbursts especially when his medication is beginning to fail. So, there came a time that some of the family agreed to try sharing some THC with him. Why not? We grew up with a family that was, and still is for the legalization of this amazing natural medication that is effective for so many physical and psychological issues.

When my brother uses THC, which is not often due to the current laws in our state, he is calm, happy, non violent, and I see an overall improvement in his entire state of mind and well being.

I have been lucky to experience the medical marijuana movement out in Colorado where I lived for three years, and held a red card at the time which enabled me to shop at will for any strain available. Personally I am a sativa fan! The point is it works!!! It works for diseases, injuries, and mental malfunctions as well. Lets continue educating the masses that THC is here for many reasons, and I will vote for the legalization whenever the chance is offered.

Thank you Cannibus Now for contributing and bringing truth backed with scientific proof that THC is a beautiful flower full of healing potential!

Sincerely,

Sister

11. sacit önder

October 15, 2014 at 3:04 am

Batda 1980 li yıllardan beri başta Hollanda olmak üzere Esra kullanımı yasağı kaldırıldı

12. John Howard

October 15, 2014 at 1:57 am

Smoking herb helped to get me off all the drugs the doctors had me on after I was run over by a truck!!

13. Tanit

October 14, 2014 at 10:09 pm

2 years back I used to get frequent styes or chalazion on the eyelids of my eyes and it was a hell raising sort of pain.I could’nt even look at a bright daylight or a well lighted room but after I started smoking weed a year back,its almost gone and does’nt comes back again.M very glad that I smoked this magical plant. 🙂

14. Dan

October 14, 2014 at 7:15 pm

It helps my leprosy, cures ebola, and makes chicken pox soup. My duck-like legs waddle twice as fast because of cannabis. Sometimes though I hold my breath for too long.

• brian george

October 16, 2014 at 2:44 am

not long enough

15. Norma

October 14, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Marijuana helps me be pain free, anxiety free, gives me an appetite, I can focus and concentrate more. I am a all around better person. I feel normal for a change by smoking. However, I want to vape it, thank you God for this plant.

16. Tony

October 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I have NF2, which forces me to deal with the effects of brain and cervical spine tumors and many more. With the tumors growing on nerves you can guess the many problems I deal with. I began smoking smoking pot 9 years ago (age 20) and have seen very little to no tumor growth over that time. Minnesota has passed medical marijuana but it does not go into effect until July. 2015. More needs to be done on a federal level so people can get natural medicines like marijuana. Thank you for letting me share.

17. Luke Shepherd

October 14, 2014 at 2:07 pm

iv had a bad car crash and had to have a craniotomy on my head witch is were they took half my skull away to release blood pressure ! it haz been replaced with a titanium plate I seen to get alot of migrains and mood swings but smoke some cannabis and dont seem to get pain or problems! LEGALISE IT !!!

18. Ryan

October 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm

My knee was crushed when I was younger and marijuana helps with the pain. Closest thing to a miracle 🙂

19. Randy

October 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I had a friend who was diagnosed with lung cancer13 yrs. ago. When diagnosed they gave her 6months to a year to live. She smoked the weed every chance she got. The cancer finally took her 12 years later. If legalized she would have been able to get edibles and would not have had to smoke it to get the benefits and could possibly still be alive today. What is wrong America. Stop listening to the alcohol industry and the big pharma. companies and legalize. The reason I say big Pharma. Companies is they know they make more money treating it than curing it. Just Saying………

20. Darlene Ruth

October 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

My son suffer from seizures..how can he get this drug

21. Kyle

October 14, 2014 at 12:35 pm

It helps me relieve my terrible migraines I get since my head trauma, also helps with my PTSD I have since my head trauma as well. Relaxes me so I’m not so tense and in fear.

22. Elvis

October 14, 2014 at 11:57 am

Cannabis is my morning coffee. An a nice Sunday morning, no work and home all day, smoking a “water pipe” (bong(:) gets your brain in a happy mood. Treating my condition, scleroderma (Dry skin) makes it feel that cannabis is helping my white blood cells out a lot better. This is the real medicine.

23. Erica

October 14, 2014 at 11:49 am

It really helps me with my anxiety and depression desorder. Helps me to not stress out and relaxes me. It has helped me to focus. Marijuana really is our miracle plant.

24. James Rock

October 14, 2014 at 11:30 am

It helps me sleep, it helps my brain not hurt helps me focuses, become self fear of uther people meaning i can go out side and not be scared of whats gonna happen helps me relax and kills the pain i my body and moree

25. chavdar

October 14, 2014 at 11:20 am

ne samo za tas boles za oste mno bolesti pomaga daje i za zahar

26. Bruce

October 14, 2014 at 10:22 am

I smoke cannabis and it has relieves alot of symptoms I have from my brain injury I have ataxia and when I smoke it seems to help relieve some of that and it helps with my migraines which I didn’t start to get till after my brain injury